American Gadfly

Commentary, Critique, and Insight on Contemporary America

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Why I never go to the movie theater to watch movies.

I don't understand why anyone in America would want to go to the movie theater anymore. With the proliferation of DVDs, and the added features and convenience of watching a DVD at home, it seems a no brainer for me to stay at home to watch movies.
Sure, there's something to be said for sitting in a theater, watching a movie on a huge screen with state-of-the art sound system. But nowadays, one can replicate a good part of the theater experience at home - spend a few dollars on a plasma/LCD hi-def display, a good receiver with surround sound speakers, and you're almost there.
The last movie I saw in a theater was over 2 years ago. I do not miss the cell phones going off, hunting for a good seat, listening to crying babies, scheduling around theater show times, or the high prices of a movie ticket. With home DVD viewing, I can watch my movie of interest any time of day or night, pause, rewind, or fast forward when I need to, and get access to extras like director's commentaries, interviews, deleted scenes, and other bonus features.
Sure, I have to wait a few months to see newer movies before they're released on DVD, but now, there's more than enough movies to watch on DVD while one waits for new releases to come out in the future.
Hollywood needs to get the message that many have given up on the silver screen in exchange for the home screen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home